Proposed topics for ProductCamp SoCal 2015

ProductCamp follows a participant-driven “unconference” format. Session topics and presenters are not determined until participants vote AT THE EVENT on October 24.

This is the official topic proposal site, where interested subject matter experts submit their topic proposals for consideration by YOU at the event.

Below is a listing of topics that have been proposed so far for ProductCamp SoCal 2015. We invite you to “vote” for the topics you think would be interesting. The “votes” cast online are not counted when the agenda for ProductCamp SoCal is created on the morning of October 24.

Propose a topic and cast your unofficial vote for already-proposed topics below.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Amazing interviews - questions product managers should ask customers

In this session we'll review in rapid-fire format dozens of tips and examples that product managers can use when conducting customer interviews. This session covers:

- 12 essential questions that help you uncover pain and value.
    - Techniques for achieving empathy during your interview
    - Practical tips for conducting and documenting interviews

This session is conducted by Jim Semick who has conducted thousands of customer interviews to launch products including GoToMeeting, GoToMyPC, AppFolio, and ProductPlan.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Features are not benefits: how to develop value propositions that sell

Many product professionals often confuse features with benefits. However, this is the lazy way to market your products. Worst of all, it doesn't even work well. Your customers do not buy features from you, they buy solved problems. So why is it that so many product managers still struggle to articulate coherent value propositions that focus on solving the customer's pain points?

This Value Proposition Workshop will develop attendee's practical skills to define the target audience, identify their pain points, articulate appropriate messaging, and position the products to sell. In addition to reviewing case studies and examples, attendees will be…

45 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • You're Not Ready for Your Next Launch

Beyond the product launch checklist of tactical items to complete before the big day, this talk focuses on an audience-centric product launch approach that drives customer adoption. Learn best practices for launch techniques pre-launch, at-launch, and post launch.

38 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Innovation and Design Thinking

Innovation is powered by a thorough understanding of what people want and need in their lives. Design thinking is a discipline that uses the designer’s sensibility and methods to match people’s needs with what is technologically feasible and what a viable business strategy can convert into customer value and market opportunity. In these sessions you will learn:

- The principles of Design Thinking
          - The Human-Centered Design process
          - How to use creative and open-ended practices with the measured, analytical methods to realize business goals, attract new customers and retain and grow current customers for greater revenue

36 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • CASE STUDY: How a 3 Week Social Media Campaign Gained 2 Million Pageviews and Raised $100K for Charity

As a way to celebrate their 20th year in business, CU Direct, created the 20 for 20 Giveback Campaign. This online voting contest was held from December 2 – 22, 2014 and invited credit unions and the public to vote once daily for a Children’s Miracle Network hospital they wanted to receive a $20,000 donation.

Learn how this campaign earned:
            2.1 Million Pageviews
            350K Votes cast
            3.5K YouTube views
            774K Mention reach on Twitter
            282k Reach on Facebook
            Press coverage online, in print and on ABC & NBC affiliates
            $100K donated to Children's Hospitals

I will share the objectives of…

35 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Admin →
            • Not Another Reorg !!

Companies struggle with organizational alignment, especially with marketing. Reorganizing seems to be an annual occurrence in many companies. Yet, it can be much more productive to step back and understand your goals and the state of the market and teams before automatically assuming that re organizing is the answer. This interactive session will cover the key factors that are driving organizational alignment today, and provide real-life examples of successes and failures. Come to this session armed with your questions and experiences to share.

34 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Admin →
              • User eXperience Design and Agile Development

Our modern world runs on increasingly complex and sophisticated software systems that requires comprehensive design and development best practices to deliver an effective, efficient and delightful user experience. Agile is a software development methodology that, when integrating the User Experience (UX) design process, create loyal customers and sustainable, long-term revenue. In this session, you will learn:

- What is the Agile development method
                - What are UX design best practices
                - How do you do UX design with Agile development

33 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Crushing Job Search: Break the Rules, Cut the Line, Beat the Rest

This session is all about the product YOU!

Based on the principles of "Never Apply for a Job Again: Break the Rules, Cut the Line, Beat the Rest" (2012 Career Press, Amazon Bestseller), learn how to build relationships that pay off in jobs and opportunities.

From simple, everyday connections staring you in the face (ESPECIALLY HERE AT PRODUCTCAMP!) to strategically planned and executed "stealth" career campaigns, we'll cover the mindset and methods that get you to know and be known by folks of influence.

You've heard "it's not what you know, but who you know"? Let's cover the HOW-TO to…

32 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • How insights from market research can help shape your brand and marketing strategy

Your brand is made up of so many different tangible and intangible attributes, as business leaders and marketers it’s essential you understand how they work together in defining your unique positioning, which ultimately drives your brand message to establish your image and build brand equity.

Whether you’re developing your brand or refining it, there are three areas you need to focus on to make sure it’s successful and enduring—these are Insights, Brand and Plan.

During the session, we will discuss the role research can play in defining your B2B brand and how it’s critical to understand the dynamics of the…

32 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Creativity, Innovation & the Product Manager

Product Managers (PM) are required to juggle multiple responsibilities while developing new ideas, processes, and products to create ongoing value. It is critical to understand the tools and techniques to enable systematic innovation to become a high-value PM and create long-term competitive advantages for your organization.

27 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • The Role of Product Owner with an Agile Team

How does your role change when you've suddenly become a Product Owner for a Scrum team? What does the need or expect from you? Can I tell the team what to do? How do we know when we'll be done without a project plan? We'll discuss this and the most common problems I've seen based on years of coaching and training at Yahoo!, EMC, Kaiser, Technicolor and more.

25 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • The Art of Networking

Statistics show that 75-80% of all jobs and new ventures are found through the art of networking, yet many people find themselves at a loss when it comes to utilizing this process to further their career or business. Many times they have let their network go dormant or have not made contacts with people in their industry and find themselves without a net to work. Yet, still other people commit major networking faux pas and blunders that limit their ability to connect with others and often create an unfavorable impression despite their best efforts. Be honest and ask yourself, do…

23 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • User Stories, Epics, Features and More - Requirements in Agile

We'll discuss how and why requirements are different with Scrum teams, how to write good user stories, how and why to break them down, tracking progress, and the collaborative nature of working with the teams to get clarity, options, trade-offs and estimates. Also, what is a Definition of Done, Definition of Ready, good acceptance criteria, and how to handle technical or non-user facing requirements, production issues and defects.

22 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Product Management Teams That Make Dust vs. Those That Eat Dust

This town-hall style session will discuss 5 characteristics of product management & marketing teams that are entrusted to the driver’s seat (making dust) to lead the organization’s direction with a comparison to those who are being pulled along for the ride (eating dust).

18 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • How to Transition into Product Management

What's the best way to transition into a product management role? I'm suggesting this topic because I'm trying to make this transition from a non-tech real estate finance position and would like to hear from others who have switched into product management. I've heard it's good to network, build a product, read, take courses, etc, but there's only so much time/resources. Some have transitioned from a design role, engineering, or business. I'd like to hear about people's transition in a step by step way so I can make the same jump.

18 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Improving the Customer Experience through Agile Innovation

Anyone care about creating a great customer experience and improving their Net Promoter Score? You should!

The future, the metaphorical keys to the kingdom, will belong to those that create the most awesome customer experiences.

In this session, Zac will show you how to stop spinning your wheels and help you get there.

16 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Customer Experience Rules! The strategy and tactics from customer experience leaders

Customer experience expert and author Jeofrey Bean will share some of the best practices in his new book (available Oct 15) “Customer Experience Rules! 52 best practices for a company to create a great customer experience.”

Going beyond branding, traditional customer service, and customer satisfaction, the customer experience encompasses every touch point a customer has with or about a company. Follow these rules in your business to craft the very best customer experience possible.

Jeof will share innovative yet practical insights about effective customer experience strategy and tactics from the leaders to improve customer engagement, loyalty and advocacy.

Like best-selling…

15 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Panel Discussion - Ask a PM: Strategy Recommendations for Your 2016 Roadmap

Come learn how other product managers are planning their 2016 product roadmap. In this panel discussion we will ask several product managers how they plan and communicate their strategy. The panel will also take questions from the audience.

The panel will be moderated by Andre Theus from ProductPlan. Andre has worked with technology startups for over 15 years. Prior to ProductPlan Andre was with RightScale, Sonos, and Citrix.

If you are interested in participated on our panel, please contact andre@productplan.com.

13 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Designing Product YOU: Your Presence, Your Brand, Your Pitch!

You go about things a certain way. You bring certain qualities and skills to bear with everything you do. You bring a certain “thing” to everything you touch.

But what is it? Can you convey it in a powerful and branded phrase? In 30 seconds, can you share your brand and direction so people want to jump on board your train?

Walk out of this session in an hour with a personally branded 30-second pitch…something you can use for the rest of the day or the rest of your career.

You’ll work in dyads and groups to design your compelling…

12 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • When the cows come home: case studies in useless feature development

You know that horrid and exasperating software application or website that you’re forced to use? It's enough to make you want to flip your desk over in a fit of rage. Unfortunately, it's all too common to come across software that is cumbersome, slow, unintuitive or more difficult to access than a locked down prison after an inmate riot.

I argue that, sadly, this type of poor design is a deliberate choice. To be more accurate, the developers have essentially chosen not to focus on the user experience.

The ideal experience is one in which the user will never have…

12 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Proposed topics for ProductCamp SoCal 2015

Feedback and Knowledge Base